Environmental Health and Safety

Environmental Health and Safety

site header

Safety Abroad - Queen's University Emergency Support Program

The opportunity to travel, study and work around the world is one of the greatest privileges many in our campus community enjoy. However, we want to ensure that your international experience is as safe and healthy as possible.

The following information is intended to inform and guide you as you prepare for your upcoming experience abroad AND in the event of an emergency:

Checklist for Queen's University Sanctioned International Activities

Checklist for Going Abroad

All students must complete the following steps prior to departure (all others are encouraged and sometimes required to do so as well):

  1. Print off the Emergency Contact Card (JPEG 36KB), or pick one up from your faculty or departmental office.
  2. Ensure that you have adequate out-of-country health insurance coverage, trip cancellation insurance, property insurance, etc. Review the Health Insurance Information Sheet (PDF 206KB) to assist you in reviewing your health coverage while abroad.
  3. Learn if you need to get specific immunizations for travel to (or through) your host country or countries. DrugSmart Pharmacy, located in the ARC, operates a travel medical clinic under the direction of Dr. Jay Keystone, a world-renowned expert on tropical medicine and senior author of the textbook Travel Medicine. 
  4. Register as a Canadian abroad at travel.gc.ca/travelling/registration  OR with your country of citizenship, if you are traveling on a non-Canadian passport.
  5. Consider an Emergency Action Plan (PDF 165 KB)
  6. Research your host country/culture prior to departure at Global Affairs Canada (GAC) Country Profiles.
  7. Complete, submit and receive approval for the Off-Campus Activity Safety Policy (OCASP) Safety Planning Record which includes the on-line Pre-Departure Orientation.
  8. NEW!  Cannabis Legalization -  On October 17, 2018, recreational cannabis became legal in Canada. This, however, did not change Canada’s border rules. Taking cannabis or any product containing cannabis across Canada’s international borders is illegal and can result in serious criminal penalties both at home and abroad. This is the case even if you are travelling to places that have legalized or decriminalized cannabis. Transporting cannabis used for medical purposes is also illegal. The federal government provides detailed information on cannabis and international travel.
Pre-departure Orientation

Pre-departure Orientation

To support Queen’s participants in their preparations for study, work and travel abroad, EH&S offers an on-line pre-departure orientation (PDO). All undergraduate students taking part in Queen’s University-sanctioned international activities are required to complete the on-line modules which are embedded in the Off-campus Activity Safety Policy – On-line Planning Tool.  All other participants are strongly encouraged to complete it.  The on-line PDO offers information on travel logistics, cross-cultural adjustment, health insurance, the Queen’s Emergency Support Program and more.

EH&S also offers in-person/group PDO sessions that can be customized to meet specific travel needs including crossing cultures/cultural adjustment, risk assessment and mitigation, country-specific information and more. For information or to book an in-person workshop please contact the Off-campus Activity Safety Team.

 We recommend that you use this list of extra safety resources when planning for your international experience:

In the Event of an Emergency While Abroad

If you find yourself in a situation that is deteriorating quickly please contact the appropriate agency, listed below, for assistance/support:

Don't forget to carry your Queen's University Emergency Contact Card with you while traveling (Collect calls will be accepted)

Pick one up at your department or faculty office, at the Department of Environmental Health & Safety or print from here.